I cry out
I cry out
How can I not?
On this land stolen from the Cherokee Nation,
now called private property,
protected by private security and county police,
I cross the line. I rise up.
I cry out about
the crime being committed
against Mother Earth
whose trees have been bulldozed over
whose river is threatened
whose habitat is being wiped out and contaminated.
I cry out about
the crime being committed
against the victims of the US Empire
who will suffer more because of what is being created here -
the engine parts for the F-35 jet fighters
now being used to slaughter our brothers and sisters in Gaza.
I cry out about
the crime being committed
against future generations
who are inheriting a climate emergency
accelerated by the rapacious fossil fuel industry
represented here in our community now by this aerospace giant
Pratt & Whitney.
Today we say ¡Basta! Enough!
We are not crossing a line, the line has crossed us.
That line was crossed long ago when this land was stolen
by settler colonialists
from the Cherokee Nation.
It was crossed when the Vanderbilt family gobbled up
this beautiful forest for its own
private pleasures
and profits.
It was crossed when this land was given
by Jack Cecil of Biltmore Farms to a war profiteer -
a war profiteer recruited by the Chamber of Commerce,
and paid ransom by the Buncombe County Commissioners.
And so, we walk into this crime scene
in front of this bridge to destruction
onto this desecrated earth,
next to these earth-removing machines
to cry out - ¡No mas! No more!
No more war
no more imperialism
no more
war profiteers
no more nuclear weapons
no more ignoring the climate
emergency
no more capitalism that sucks up resources from all over the world
no more worker exploitation, nor more union exclusion
no more austerity that
makes us precarious and desperate for jobs
no more corrupt
politicians
no more brainwashing by the corporate media
no more police
repression and brutality
no more abuse of immigrants and refugees
no more white
supremacy.
¡Basta! No mas, no more.
We pray to the Spirit of all that we know and all that we are.
We pray for those who are perpetrating this crime
for those of us who resist it
for those who will suffer from it.
We are all one people.
May we
be peacemakers, not warmakers
protect creation, not destroy it
share our wealth with each other
generate livelihoods that sustain
resist appeals to our fears
seek cooperation, not competition
make reparations for the harm we have done
and always dwell in love and compassion.
May we transition
our economy
our worldview
and our own selves
as a gift to our children and grandchildren.
All of our children -
of all races
genders
religions
nationalities
ages
abilities
geographic locations
socioeconomic statuses.
All of us are god's children.
May we build bridges of solidarity
with human and non-human alike.
May we live in harmony
together hereon our one beautiful and life-giving planet.
May it be so.

Comments
Post a Comment