Not doing nothing

 

I've been in the garage today making signs for our next roadside vigil to Stop P&W. It's one of those chores that comes with organizing events for a campaign, and - truth be told - it's kind of a fun thing to do. It's a little art project for the cause. You can mess with stencils and paints, occupy your hands, not just your head, and even listen to loud rockin' music. All good.

Besides the satisfaction of having a new visual for our demo, I also appreciate the lesson in patience that comes with this task. And it's also a nice way to accept my own imperfections. So, you know, there are spiritual benefits to this work as well.

Actually, the spiritual benefit comes from doing the resistance work in the first place. Making signs is not going to change the world and won't persuade the powers that be that they should just forget about this Pratt & Whitney deal. But it's part of my witness, humble as that may be. As Dan Berrigan once said, " I don't know the solution, but I know it's not doing nothing." 

Today I was not doing nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtuality

Following the money

Biltmore pillage